23 December 2009

Top 20 Hip Hop Albums Of 2009

Just about every hip hop blog in which the blogger actually writes (which are getting to be scarce) is gonna have some kind of 'top albums' list, here's mine:

#1 Mos Def - The Ecstatic



The Ecstatic was exactly what Mos Def, and hip hop, needed after that trainwreck True Magic. The majority of the album's production is laced by Stones Throw heavyweights like Madlib and Oh No while Mos proves his lyrical supremacy alongside a small, selective cast of featuring artists including Slick Rick (who's verse is on "Auditorium" is one of the best guest spots of the year), Talib Kweli, and Georiga Anne Muldrow. No slip-ups, no filler, no bullshit, just 16 dope tracks. This is album of the year.

#2 Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx 2



Ask me on a different day and this release could very possibly be my top album of '09. 22 tracks and all of them dope, Raekwon matches the success of the first installment in his series without recycling the same sound or content. I'll be bumping this for awhile.


#3 - Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse



I do not like Joe Budden. I don't think he's a good rapper nor do his useless ustreams or "king of the internet" claims appeal to me. But that's beside the point. This is a very strong album, and the Slaughterhouse collective (minus one) is a force not to be f-cked with.

#4 - Eminem - Relapse



A lot of us were expecting the second coming of Christ when Em came back. That's not exactly what happened, but you can't deny that Relapse is a good release. It's lyrically and musically solid with quite a few bangers in there as well.


#5 - Finale - A Pipe Dream And A Promise



Detroit emcee Finale has flown steady under the radar until just this year when he dropped this amazing album, A Pipe Dream And A Promise, virtually mirroring Elzhi's situation in '08.

#6 - Wu Tang - Chamber Music



RZA didn't want to call this an official Wu Tang album, and that's not what it sounds like, but with live instrumentals from The Revelations, a handful of Wu members, plus friends like Sean Price, AZMasta Ace, and M.O.P., you can't really go wrong.

#7 - UGK - UGK For Life



Along with being the first posthumous album since the passing of Pimp C, UGK 4 Life was a solid release, featuring the classic UGK sound that we all have come to know and love.

#8 - Doom - Born Like This



MF fans already know. Doom came back with a new name but spitting the same game. The masked-villian prevails once again.

#9 - Fashawn - Boy Meets World



Fashawn is a talented, young left-coaster and his album Boy Meets World was the undisputed best debut album out of any hip hop artist in 2009. Listen to this and tell me the kid doesn't kill it.

#10 - Brother Ali - US



Us is a collection of Ant-produced lyrically-excellent storytelling tracks by your favorite legally-blind albino rapper, Brother Ali. Don't sleep.

#11 - Tiye Phoenix - Half Woman, Half Amazin'



Best album by a female emcee in 2009? Yes. One of the best overall albums of 2009? Yes. If you haven't heard this already, your slacking.

#12 - OC & AG - Oasis



Both of these legends still got it on the mic, no doubt. I'd say this was better than most of the other albums you listened to this year. Buy it and agree.

#13 - Redman & Method Man - Blackout 2



It doesn't quite compare to the original but Red and Method Man's Blackout 2 is a pretty damn solid album overall.

#14 - Blaq Poet - The Blaqprint



Any rapper that can do justice over a DJ Premier beat is worth a listen. Blaq Poet not only does that, he murders some of these. I feel like this album may have been a bit overlooked, but it's definitely worth a spin.

#15 - M.O.P. - Foundation



Not sure how this album got so blatantly overlooked. On account of how dope it was I would have figured more people would have caught on, that's just how hip hop is sometimes. Foundation was a dope release, worthy of a spin from any head.

#16 - K-os - Yes!



Some people really LOVED this album, I wasn't one of them. I thought it was pretty damn good though, it's on my top 20 list is it not?

#17 - Obie Trice & MoSS - Special Reserve




This came out late in the year but I had to go back into the list and add it in, that's how much I was feeling it.

#18 - J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid



To tell you the truth I wasn't really feeling this album all that much, but the story behind it, being Dilla's first posthumous album, Ma Dukes, and all that, I figured this deserved a spot on the list if only for importance.

#19 - Clipse - 'Til The Casket Drops



I bump 'Til The Casket Drops. The maturity the Thornton brothers display on the mic plus the elevated lyricism and well-chosen guest appearances, laced by Neptunes production makes this album more than worth your dough.

#20 - Marco Polo & Torae - Double Barrel



That Coney Island curb-stompin' rap.

BONUS:
#21 - N.A.S.A. - The Spirit of Apollo



Occasionally, one of those experimental hip hop albums actually turns out to be good, N.A.S.A.'s The Spirit of Apollo was this year's standout. Accompanied by a plethora of big-name artists from Kanye West to KRS-One, N.A.S.A. combines Brazilian funk with electronica and hip hop to create a unique sound.

Disclaimer:
This is my top 20 hip hop albums of the year therefore albums that I failed to listen to of course aren't included. I know I missed a few, so If you find yourself saying, "where's ____" leave a comment saying where you think said album should be on the list. Peace.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kurupt & Quik

Anonymous said...

If the blueprint 3 aint on the list, you aint hip hop...sorry

Mookie Williams said...

@Anon. #1
Yeah that's true I did miss that. Actually gave that a listen after I had already compiled the list, pretty dope album.

@Anon. #2
Child please, I'm a big Jay Z fan and even I'll admit that BP3 wasn't worth a top 20 birth this year. It wasn't a bad album, but it most definitely could have been much better.

Thanks for commenting

Anonymous said...

aight ocho cinco, bp3 may not have been one of jays best but it was easily better than half your list...including that n.a.s.a shit, the mop joint and the obie trice "album" if you want to even call it that....just to name a couple

drab1ne said...

Best list I've seen yet

Mookie Williams said...

@anon. #2
What was it about BP3 that you liked so much? Personally, I wasn't really feeling it except for a couple songs. I thought Jay kinda watered it down lyrically and the production wasn't great.

I'm flexible on that N.A.S.A. but MOP's album > BP3, same with Obie Trice (yes, that was an album, not sure why you would't call it that...). And like I said I'm a big Jay fan, if the album was dope I would have been more than happy to praise it.. this year, if I had extended my list, it would have probably been about #28-30.

@drab1ne
thank you


Thanks for commenting!

Tha Advakit said...

What don't you like about Joe Budden's rapping? I'm curious to know. I think he's a phenomenal lyricist. Mood Muzik 2, 3 and Escape Route are his best work to me.

Mookie Williams said...

@Tha Advakit

Budden has skills lyrically, I'll give him that, some of the punchlines he spits are pretty impressive. But in terms of flow and song-to-song variation, he's seriously lacking. His flow is basically the same on all of his records (well, at least the ones I've listened to, 3 albums).

I heard good things about the Mood Musik series so I gave some of those a listen as well but I really just wasn't feeling the whole emo rap vibe that a lot of his fans seem to love so much. Plus, dude lost a whole lot of credibility in those beefs w/ Raekwon and Ransom for me. I have no problem with people who like him, he's just not my kind of artist.

Tha Advakit said...

Aw ok I feel you. Most people who don't like him state his flow (and beat choice sometimes) being the reason. I think Slaughterhouse caused him to step his game up tho. You might like his flow on this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkosLGXEEYw

Mookie Williams said...

@Tha Advakit

Yeah that's not bad at all. If he were able to switch it up like that more often I'd probably be a fan.

@slushygutter said...

Im seeing that OC and AG on all these lists and I am embarrassed to say I havent heard it. I'll have to check for it since both were my favorite 15 years back.

Cant front on the list- DOOM is my top pick and love the Torae joint too. CHeers.

Mookie Williams said...

@Commish CH

Yeah definitely check out Oasis, dope album.

Anonymous said...

I liked some songs from Malice in Wonderland, BlaQKout should be here and Man on the Moon should be here too... Don't know some of these albums, i will check it out ;) But, still think that Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part II should be number 1, no disrespect for Mos Def, but like Raekwon a lil bit more...

Piazzajordan2 said...

My #1 album from 2009 was So Be It by Qwel & Maker. So, I don't know why that isn't on here.

Unknown said...

click here for more Home Page next click to find out more click this site Going Here

shethat said...

q5g66p8a40 k2f20q7s14 q6u31k8n87 i9y98s8x94 m1h55z6c54 w6x95x8w47

Post a Comment

Apture